Grilled skirt steak is juicy, full of bold flavors, and absolutely delicious. Grilling rock steak brings out the best in this long, thin steak that you are going to love.
Summer just seems like a great time for steaks, whether it’s grilled, air-fried, or pan-fried. Try these incredible top-rated steak recipes, Garlic Herb Butter, London Broil, and Cube Steak!
Skirt Steak Recipe Re
A delicious, tender steak fresh from the grill is an absolute delight! Summer is finally here and that means barbecue time. I love being able to grill, it keeps the heat out of my kitchen and house and brings the whole family outside. This grilled rock steak is perfect for a big barbecue in the garden with friends or family. It makes a lot and tastes like dynamite. You will love the taste!
This rock steak starts with a perfectly balanced marinade specially created for this piece of meat. Much like my Best Steak Marinade, it has the perfect balance of acid, oil, and seasoning to tenderize, season, and add moisture to your meat. After it’s marinated, grill this lovely piece of meat for a char and sear that will keep your taste buds happy! Seriously, your whole family will love this grilled rock steak!
What you need for the ultimate rock steak
The marinade is made from ingredients that you can easily find at home or in the store. It’s the perfect blend of spices to create the most tender and juicy rock steak. The complete list of ingredients and the dimensions can be found in the recipe card below.
- Rock steak: This recipe is for about 2 pounds of steak.
- soy sauce: Adds such good umami taste.
- Lemon juice: This provides the acid that makes the meat tender.
- olive oil: Helps to transport moisture and taste into the steak.
- Worcester sauce: One of my all-time favorite flavors for steaks.
- Chopped garlic: Fresh garlic gives the most flavor.
- Italian seasoning: A perfect blend of spices and herbs that you will love in this marinade.
- pepper and salt: Adds flavor and helps carry the flavor into the meat.
- Pinch of red pepper: Adds some warmth.
How to make a rock steak
Two simple steps to making the best grilled rock steak! First marinate the steak for at least 2 hours and then simply grill it. You will make your family rave about this perfect rock steak dinner.
- Marinade: In a large ziplock bag, add the rock steak, soy sauce, lemon juice, olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, Italian spices, pepper, salt and red pepper flakes. Leave to marinate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Grill: Preheat your grill to high heat. Add the steak to the grill and cook for 3-5 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 145 on medium heat.
Everything about rock steak
If you are unfamiliar with rock steak, here is everything you need to know. It’s a delicious cut to work with and perfect for marinating.
- What is rock steak? It’s one of the tastiest cuts of meat, but also one of the toughest and needs to be cooked carefully. Rocksteak contains the most muscle of all cuts, which gives it a distinctive look and taste, but can also be easily overcooked. For the best taste and tenderness, it’s best to serve rock steak infrequently to moderately infrequently.
- What to buy: There are two cuts of rock steak, the inside and the outside. You’ll want to buy the outer cut if you can. It becomes longer, narrower and very delicate. The inner cut tends to be thinner and a little tougher. Both work perfectly for this recipe and produce heavenly results.
- Perfect for marinating: Since the marinating of meat really only penetrates just below the surface of the meat, the following applies: the thinner the cut, the better. Rocksteak is an ideal piece of meat to marinate because it is so thin and so long. More surface area to retain that exquisite taste and allow the marinade to tenderize more of the meat.
- What if I can’t find the rock steak: A beef cow only has two rock steaks on it, which means it’s a rarer cut of meat. Often times the exterior ends up in a restaurant, which means even less in the shops, so sometimes you won’t find one. You can use a flank, straightener, or flap steak instead.
Tips for perfectly marinated and grilled rock steak
This is a quick-cooking piece of meat, although it is big enough that it doesn’t take long. After a few minutes you will find char on each side of the meat with a crispy outside and a tender, juicy inside. The perfect grilled rock steak starts here!
- Marinade: If you’re marinating steak, you’ll want to marinate it for at least 30 minutes but no more than 24 hours. If you marinate steak too much, you run the risk of breaking down the fibers and creating mushy, chewy, tasteless meat. I suggest flipping the steak halfway through its marinating time.
- Dispose of the marinade: For safety reasons, dispose of the entire marinade before grilling. Do not use it to baste the steak while it is cooking. If you want to do this, make a new batch to avoid contamination and possible disease.
- Grilling: Rock steak should not be cooked too long. It gets tough and tough if cooked too long. Grill over high heat for 3-5 minutes and do not cook over medium-seldom. It’s going to be tough. The steak will continue to cook for a few minutes after you remove it from the grill, so keep that in mind.
- Let it rest: As with all meat, let it sit for 5-10 minutes before slicing to allow the meat to redistribute the juice in the meat.
- Cut against the grain: For the most tender and juicy bites of meat, be sure to cut against the fiber. This means cutting it in the opposite direction that the fibers are going.
What goes well with grilled rock steak
This grilled rock steak is great on its own or you can slice it for other recipes. This goes well with fajitas, stir-fries, on salads, or even in a cheesesteak sandwich. If you’re serving it on a grill, you’ll want great side dishes with it. Sometimes the perfect side dish can turn a meal from good to amazing. Try these side dishes with it.
- In a large ziplock bag, add the rock steak, soy sauce, lemon juice, olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, Italian spices, pepper, salt and red pepper flakes. Leave to marinate for 2 hours or overnight.
Preheat your grill to high heat. Add the steak to the grill and cook for 3-5 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 145 on medium heat.
Calories419kcal (21%)carbohydrates6thG (2%)protein34G (68%)fat29G (45%)Saturated fat7thG (35%)Polyunsaturated fat3GMonounsaturated fatty acids18thGTrans fats1Gcholesterol95mg (32%)sodium1127mg (47%)potassium610mg (17%)Fiber1G (4%)sugar2G (2%)Vitamin A52IE (1%)vitamin C8thmg (10%)calcium58mg (6%)iron4thmg (22%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Every recipe and nutritional value depends on the brands, measuring methods and serving sizes used per household.