Warner Bros. Home Entertainment and DC celebrate the 25th anniversary of Superman: the animated series with a fully remastered Blu-ray box set. Superman: The Complete Animated Series, which includes hours of bonus features overwritten by a brand new documentary about the making of one of history’s most beloved animated superhero cartoons, will be available on October 12, 2021.
Produced by Warner Bros. Animation (WBA), the Emmy-winning Superman: The Animated Series was the perfect sequel to the groundbreaking Batman: The Animated Series. Producers Bruce Timm, Paul Dini and Alan Burnett increased The Man of Steel’s lively presence with an imaginative, heartfelt look at Superman’s adventures in Metropolis alongside Lois Lane and towards villains like Lex Luthor, Brainiac, Darkseid and others. The series, which premiered on September 6, 1996, continued the WBA’s dominance in superhero animation and once again set new standards for storytelling, art direction, and acting – garnering 11 Emmy nominations and two Emmy Award wins , including top awards for Outstanding Special Class Animated Program from 1998.
The remarkable thing Superman: The Complete Animated Series Box-Set offers nearly 21 hours of entertainment on six Blu-ray discs, including all 54 exciting episodes, a brand new series-defining featurette titled Superman: Timeless Icon, a special video commentary episode, and three specially selected episodes with audio commentary from the showrunners.
All 54 episodes have been remastered from the original 35mm interpositive sources, with particular emphasis on thorough color grading, dirt and scratch removal, and grain reduction to create a flawless image while ensuring that the original lines are kept in . the artwork of the animation is not affected. The audio has been retransmitted by the original audio masters and the series is presented in its original aspect ratio (4×3).
Producer quartet Bruce Timm, Paul Dini, Alan Burnett and Glen Murakami directed the production of Superman: The Animated Series along with executive producers Jean MacCurdy and Haven Alexander. Shirley Walker and Dynamic Music Partners (Michael McCuistion, Lolita Ritmanis, Kristopher Carter) composed the award-winning film music, while eight-time Emmy award-winner Andrea Romano led a high-profile cast. Curt Geda and Dan Riba worked as animation directors for more than half of the episodes.
That Superman: the animated series The cast continued the unrivaled guest star presentation that Batman: The Animated Series originally established. The long cast list is filled with luminaries, her laurels include an Oscar and 10 Oscar nominations; 37 Emmy Awards and 186 Emmy Nominations; 16 Golden Globe Awards and 54 nominations; five Annie Awards and 38 nominations; four Grammy Awards and 14 nominations; and nine people who were starred on the Hollywood Walk of Fame including Ed Asner, Mark Hamill, William H. Macy, Marion Ross, Malcolm McDowell, Efrem Zimbalist Jr., Michael York, Roddy McDowall, and Paul Williams.
Tim Daly (Madame Secretary, Private Practice, Wings) led the cast as Clark Kent and Superman alongside Dana Delany (Body of Proof, Desperate Housewives, China Beach) as Lois Lane, David Kaufman (Danny Phantom, Stuart Little) as Jimmy Olsen and Clancy Brown (Dexter, The Shawshank Redemption, SpongeBob SquarePants) as Lex Luthor. The star cast included series regulars – and their characters – Lauren Tom (Angela Chen), Victor Brandt (Professor Hamilton), Corey Burton (Brainiac), Joseph Bologna (Dan Turpin), George Dzundza (Perry White), Brad Garrett ( Bibbo Bibbowski), Shelley Fabares (Martha Kent), Joanna Cassidy (Maggie Sawyer), Lisa Edelstein (Mercy Graves), Mike Farrell (Jonathan Kent) and Michael Ironside (Darkseid).
Notable guest stars on the series have included Mark Hamill, Ed Asner, Dean Jones, Melissa Joan Hart, Robert Morse, Al Roker, Brian Cox, Jason Priestley, Peter Gallagher, David Warner, Michael Dorn, Christopher McDonald, Bruce Weitz, Andrea Martin, Miguel Ferrer , Ron Perlman, Bud Cort, Gilbert Gottfried, Robert Hays, Dennis Haysbert, Laraine Newman, Nancy Travis, Xander Berkeley, Jonathan Harris, John Glover, Sandra Bernhard, Jack Carter, Ernie Hudson, Henry Silva and Robert Patrick.
Superman: The Complete Animated Series – Extended content
- Superman: Timeless Icon (new featurette) – A brand new bonus feature, produced specifically for the remastered Blu-ray release of Superman: The Animated Series, reveals the show’s intricate journey and those who created the new mythology for The Man of Steel, as from the Producer Bruce Timm. tells and Paul Dini, director Dan Riba, writer Bob Goodman, casting / dialogue director Andrea Romano and Tim Daly & Clancy Brown, the announced voices of Superman and Lex Luthor, respectively.
- A little piece of trivia (featurette) – So you think you know your Superman trivia? Wait until you find out about the series’ connection to Telly Savalas! A brain teaser to amuse any Superman: The Animated Series fan!
- Superman: Learning to Fly (Featurette) – Immerse yourself in the minds of the creative team at Superman: The Animated Series as they detail the birth of this animated version of Superman and his incredible worlds. Speakers include producers Paul Dini, Bruce Timm and Alan Burnett, art director / producer Glen Murakami and directors Dan Riba and James Tucker.
- Building the Mythology: Superman’s Supporting Actor (Featurette) – The characters surrounding Superman stand in this in-depth look at everyone from Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen and Perry White to Maggie Sawyer, Lana Lang and Ma & Pa Kent. Producers Paul Dini, Bruce Timm and Alan Burnett, art director / producer Glen Murakami and directors Dan Riba and James Tucker give the audience an insight.
- Menaces of Metropolis: Behind the Villains of Superman (Featurette) – Your hero is only as good as the villains around him, and Superman: The Animated Series features a villain gallery of top-notch villains, including traditional opponents Lex Luthor, Brainiac, Bizarro, Metallo, Mr. Mxyzptlk, Toyman and Parasite. as well as new villains created for the series – such as Live Wire and Luminus. Producers Bruce Timm, Alan Burnett and Paul Dini, directors James Tucker and Dan Riba and casting / dialogue director Andrea Romano lead us through the villains.
- The Despot Darkseid: A Villain Worthy Of Supermans (Featurette) – Darkseid is at the center of this investigation into one of the most vicious adversaries of The Man of Steel, as well as other Fourth World characters featured in Superman: The Animated Series. The featurette includes producers Paul Dini, Bruce Timm and Alan Burnett, art director / producer Glen Murakami, writers Rich Fogel and Stan Berkowitz, directors James Tucker and Charles Hatfield (Department of English, Cal State Northridge).
- Stolen Memories – producers Bruce Timm, Paul Dini and Alan Burnett, director Curt Geda and art director / producer Glen Murakami.
- The Last Son of Krypton – Part 1 – Producers Bruce Timm, Paul Dini and Alan Burnett, Director Dan Riba and Art Director / Producer Glen Murakami.
- The Main Man – Part 2 – Producers Bruce Timm and Paul Dini, Director Dan Riba, and Art Director / Producer Glen Murakami.
- Mxyzpixilated – producer Bruce Timm, producer / writer Paul Dini, director Dan Riba and presenter Jason Hillhouse.