Yellow cake mix is a staple recipe that can be used in countless desserts! It’s super easy to throw together and only requires a handful of ingredients.
Making cakes at home is easier than you think and so delicious! Angel food cake, white cake, and classic chocolate cake are a few of my other foolproof recipes. They turn out amazing every time!
Homemade Yellow Cake Mix Recipe
Cake lovers rejoice! This recipe is everything you need in your life right now. If you’re like me, then you love a good yellow cake. No matter the frosting, it’s so tasty! With this super easy recipe, you can have cake mix on hand for when a dessert craving hits! No grocery trip needed! The ingredients are most likely in your pantry right now. Not only do you get to stay at home, but this tastes better than any boxed cake mix you can buy!
But maybe you don’t make yellow cakes very often- I get that. What a lot of people don’t know, though, is that yellow cake mix comes in handy for so many different desserts! So, even if you’re not the biggest cake lover on the planet, this is still a super useful thing to have in your kitchen! Some of my all-time favorite dessert recipes utilize yellow cake mix. Banana cream cookies? Check. Lemon coconut bars? Double-check. I’ve compiled some of my favorite recipes below that use yellow cake mix as a base ingredient! Really, the options are endless.
Ingredients for Homemade Yellow Cake Mix
You only need 5 simple ingredients for this cake mix! You won’t need to buy boxed yellow cake ever again! All measurements can be found in the recipe card below. Note: This is just a blend of dry ingredients and you will need to add things like eggs and butter when you’re ready to make your cake. I have linked my tried and true yellow cake recipe below!
- Cake Flour: Will give your cake structure and a fine texture. You can use all-purpose flour as well, but it will slightly alter the crumb of the cake.
- Granulated Sugar: Added to your cake mix for the perfect sweetness!
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda: A blend of both is necessary for a cake that rises well!
- Salt: Salt is used to enhance the overall flavor of your cake.
How to Make Your Cake Mix
Just mixing a few basic ingredients is all you need to do here. Who knew the best cakes begin with the most simple foundation? I’ve provided a printable graphic of this recipe below so you can keep a physical copy on hand! This yellow cake mix is going to provide you with the most delicious of desserts!
- Mix Ingredients: Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and powdered milk.
- Store: in an airtight container or jar until ready to use.
Cookies, bars, cakes, you name it! Your yellow cake mix comes in handy for an array of desserts. Some of my other favorites are piña colada poke cake and pumpkin pie sheet cake. This super simple cake mix can be transformed into whatever your heart desires! All you have to do is add your favorite flavors, toppings, and fillings.
Note: There are typically 4 cups of batter in boxed cake mix. So when a recipe calls for a box of cake mix, just use 4 cups of your own!
Yellow Cake Mix Storage
- At Room Temperature: Store your yellow cake mix in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. It should keep for up to 5 months.
Note: If you live in a hot or humid climate, this can shorten the shelf life of your mix. Moisture can activate your leavening agents early, leaving you with a dense cake once you go to bake it.
Making Your Cake
Now that you have your cake mix ready, it’s time to bake! Making a homemade yellow cake is not only tasty but easy to do! You can find the full recipe here.
- Add Wet Ingredients to Cake Mix: In a large bowl, add one jar of your yellow cake mix and mix in 1 cup buttermilk, ¼ cup milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla, ½ cup vegetable oil, and 3 eggs. Note: Using room temperature wet ingredients will give you a batter free of lumps! Beat until everything is mixed together.
- Add to Pan: Add a smooth layer of batter into 2 greased 8-inch round cake pans and bake for 35-40 minutes. You’ll know your cake is done when a toothpick comes out clean or the center springs back when you touch it! Let cool completely before frosting.
- Frost: Add your favorite frosting! My favorite combo is yellow cake and chocolate frosting. I definitely recommend trying both chocolate buttercream and chocolate cream cheese frostings!
Tip: Don’t overmix your batter! This will make your cake dense. Mix only until your ingredients are incorporated smoothly and then stop.
Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Store in an airtight container or jar until ready to use.
When ready to bake your cake, use the entire mix and combine in a mixer with 1 cup buttermilk, ¼ cup milk, ½ cup vegetable oil, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 3 large eggs. Bake in 2 greased 8-inch pans at 350 for 30-35 minutes.
Calories273kcal (14%)Carbohydrates64g (21%)Protein4g (8%)Fat1g (2%)Saturated Fat1g (5%)Polyunsaturated Fat1gMonounsaturated Fat1gSodium216mg (9%)Potassium187mg (5%)Fiber1g (4%)Sugar38g (42%)Vitamin A1IUCalcium71mg (7%)Iron1mg (6%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.