These tender cabbage steaks are so juicy and flavorful! Each bite is seasoned to perfection with soy sauce, chili powder, paprika, red pepper flakes, and a splash of lemon!
Who said eating more vegetables was a bad thing? You’re going to love my cauliflower steak, steamed asparagus, and sauteed brussels sprouts recipes! They’re so delicious, you’ll forget you’re eating healthy.
Easy Roasted Cabbage Steaks Recipe
I’ve been on a little bit of a cabbage kick recently. Sausage and cabbage and stuffed cabbage soup have been frequenting the dinner lineup at our house. I just love how versatile cabbage is! It absorbs flavor so well and is so tender and delicious! Definitely in my top 3 favorite vegetables. I posted a recipe for cauliflower steaks a few months back, amazed at how simple seasonings and a few minutes of roasting can transform vegetables! I decided to try this method out with thick-cut slices of cabbage, and let me tell you- cabbage steaks are a must-try.
You can honestly eat these as-is, they’re so satisfying! They also work great as a hearty side dish. To get the perfect mouthwatering flavor, all you’ve got to do is mix up soy sauce with a few spices and throw your steaks in the oven! Each time I’ve made these cabbage steaks, they’ve turned out deliciously. I always want to eat them straight out of the oven. They smell amazing and have the best texture. You’ll honestly forget you’re only eating vegetables! Even the carnivores in your family will enjoy them, I promise!
Everything You’ll Need to Make Them
No trip to the grocery store is needed here, just a trip to your spice rack! These cabbage steaks come together with the most simple ingredients. You can find measurements for each ingredient below in the recipe card!
- Cabbage: Choose a couple heads of cabbage that are bright in color, firm, and without any brown spots or blemishes! They are the star of the show, after all.
- Soy Sauce: This is the foundation of your marinade. It helps to tenderize the cabbage steaks and add savory flavor. Kikkoman is always my go-to!
- Olive Oil: A little olive oil helps seasonings and spices to stick.
- Lemon Juice: You can’t go wrong with a little bit of zest!
- Honey: Balances out flavors and creates the perfect glaze texture.
- Smoked Paprika: Smoked paprika is the best. It’s so rich and savory!
- Chili Powder: Adds a bright splash of heat to your vegetables.
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes: When added in moderation, red pepper flakes give roasted vegetables a hint of warm spice. If you’re looking to turn up the heat, add more to taste!
- Salt and Pepper: Both will enhance your steaks’ overall flavor.
How to Make Cabbage Steaks in Oven
4 simple steps is all it takes! These yummy cabbage steaks only require a few minutes of prep and then it’s hands-off once they go in the oven! Waiting is the hardest part.
- Preheat Oven, Cut Cabbage: First, preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Cut cabbage in 1 inch slices making 4-5 small disks.
- Prepare Glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, olive oil, lemon juice, honey, smoked paprika, chili powder, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper.
- Baste: Lay the cabbage disks on a baking sheet and baste the sauce on generously.
- Bake and Serve: Next, bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cabbage is tender and crispy on the outside.
Tips and Variations
Here are a few ways to switch up and perfect your cabbage steaks! Since cabbage takes the flavor of whatever you cook it with, these steaks are super easy to customize with all of your favorite flavors. You’re going to love how they turn out!
- Make it Vegan: You can easily make this recipe vegan by swapping out the honey for maple syrup!
- Use Purple Cabbage: Use purple cabbage for a more colorful version of this dish! Additionally, purple cabbage has 10x the vitamin A of regular cabbage, making it a healthier choice.
- Switch Up Flavor: Instead of soy sauce and spices, I sometimes like to make a zestier version of these by combining melted butter with lemon pepper seasoning. Cajun spices taste great as an alternative, too!
- Serve With: Cabbage steaks are great eaten on their own, but also accompany meat dishes really well. Pork tenderloin and garlic roasted chicken are some of my favorites. For a more traditional pairing, serve your steaks alongside corned beef!
Storing Leftover Roasted Cabbage
Cabbage steaks are great for storing and reheating! Pop them in the oven and they’ll taste just as good as when you first made them.
- In the Refrigerator: Store cabbage steaks in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- In the Freezer: In an airtight container, your cabbage steaks will last for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
- Reheating: To keep your leftover cabbage from getting soggy, I always like to reheat it in the oven. Pop your steaks in the oven for 4-5 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Cut cabbage in 1 inch slices making 4-5 small disks.
In a small bowl whisk together soy sauce, olive oil, lemon juice, honey, smoked paprika, chili powder, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper.
Lay the cabbage disks on a baking sheet and baste the sauce on generously.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cabbage is tender and crispy on the outside.
Calories219kcal (11%)Carbohydrates37g (12%)Protein7g (14%)Fat8g (12%)Saturated Fat1g (5%)Polyunsaturated Fat1gMonounsaturated Fat5gSodium899mg (37%)Potassium831mg (24%)Fiber12g (48%)Sugar24g (27%)Vitamin A803IU (16%)Vitamin C168mg (204%)Calcium188mg (19%)Iron3mg (17%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.