Caprese Salad is a super easy salad made with tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and basil. I usually think of a summer salad when tomatoes are in season in my home country.
But this is the Christmas version – shaped in a candy cane design for a fun and festive take on this classic salad.
Related: Check out our archive for more holiday appetizer ideas.
Ingredients Caprese Salad:
- Tomatoes – the spicier and fresher the better
- Fresh Mozzarella – I like to slice it myself to get the thickness I prefer
- Basil – The leaves can be left whole, or you can shred them to sprinkle over the salad
- Olive Oil & Salt – drizzle and sprinkle on top before serving
Tips For Preparing Caprese Salad:
- Slice the tomatoes and mozzarella into similar thicknesses for a consistent look when serving.
- You can also achieve this candy cane look by cutting the items into cubes or smaller pieces.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with some flaky sea salt just before serving.
While this salad is great on its own, here are some things you might want to serve it with:
For more recipes like this, don’t forget to subscribe!
Get creative ideas for recipes, crafts, decorating and more in your inbox!
Wash and thinly slice the tomatoes, removing any steam spots as needed.
Cut the mozzarella into thin or thick pieces, depending on your preference.
Leave the basil leaves whole or chop into small pieces.
Arrange the ingredients in a candy cane design.
Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with sea salt before serving.
Note: Nutrition is automatically calculated using Spoonacular for your convenience. Where appropriate, we recommend using your own nutritional calculations.