Corned Beef and Cabbage slow cook all day with hearty vegetables making one delicious stew! This is a classic recipe with nostalgic flavors, and it’s so easy to whip up.
I just love a good stew, they are so filling and the perfect thing to throw in the slow cooker. I’ve also never heard ANY of my kids complain about stew for dinner, and that’s saying something! If you are on the hunt for more stew recipes, you’ve got to try this Slow Cooker Beef Stew, this amazing Beef Bourguignon, and this tasty One Pot Chicken Stew.
Corned Beef Stew
I am sharing a delicious recipe with you today that has been in our family for years. Whether you are Irish or not, this recipe will become an instant family favorite. It is perfect for your St. Patrick’s Day celebration and is hearty and full of flavor. Serve it with some homemade cornbread, this super simple garlic bread, or a refreshing tomato basil salad.
The secret to making slow cooker corned beef and cabbage so flavorful is the pickling spice. Pickling spice has mustard seeds, allspice berries, whole coriander seeds, and red pepper flakes which add a flavorful and unique taste to this stew. I accompanied it with some other great spices including garlic powder, paprika, and salt and pepper.
Slow Cooker Corned Beef Ingredients
The ingredients are so simple for this slow cooker corned beef and cabbage stew, but I think that’s what makes it such a classic recipe! The flavors really pop once you add the pickling spice. Find the measurements below in the recipe card.
- Corned Beef: You need 2 pounds of corned beef, then cut them into cubes.
- Potatoes: I like to use russet. Cut into stew sized cubes.
- Celery: They add great flavor and texture.
- Onion: I prefer white onion for this recipe.
- Carrots: You can buy baby carrots and toss them in, or peel and chop large carrots.
- Cabbage: You will need ½ head of cabbage, and slice it into pieces that make sense to pick up with your spoon.
- Beef Broth: This is the base of this amazing sauce.
- Worcestershire Sauce: Adds spice.
- McCormick® Pickling Spice: This is the key ingredient!
- McCormick® Garlic Powder: Adds savory flavors. You could add fresh garlic if you wanted to.
- McCormick® Paprika: I like a little spice.
- Salt and Pepper: Adds extra flavor.
- Cornstarch: Optional to thicken sauce.
- Parsley, Salt and Pepper: For garnish.
How to Make Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage Stew
This recipe has been in our family for years. But I decided to add my own spin to it. I wanted to make it in the slow cooker, and I wanted to turn it into a delicious and hearty stew. The result was better than I could have expected! The crock-pot brought all of these ingredients together so perfectly. I don’t have alcohol on hand, so I didn’t add any beer to the broth but it would be amazing that way. This is a really simple and delicious dish that the whole family will rave about.
- Add Ingredients to Slow Cooker: Add corned beef, potatoes, celery, onion, and cabbage to your slow cooker.
- Mix Spices in Bowl: In a medium sized mixing bowl combine beef broth, worchestershire sauce, pickling spice, garlic powder, paprika and salt and pepper. Then pour over the meat and veggies.
- Cook: Cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 5-6 until the vegetables are tender and meat is cooked throughout.
- Garnish: Add salt and pepper to taste and then garnish with chopped parsley.
Tips for Making Corned Beef and Cabbage Stew
There are a lot of recipes for corned beef stew out there, but I’ve never tasted one that I like more than my slow cooker corned beef and cabbage recipe. It’s so simple and delicious. Here are a few additions or substitutions you could make if you have missing ingredients or want to switch things up, and tips for making the recipe.
- Other Spices: When I think of a stew, I think of bay leaves. Absolutely feel free to throw some in when you get ready to turn the pot on. A sprinkle of dill could be amazing. McCormick has a spice packet for beef stew that you could throw in there too. Really just play with the flavors until they are perfect for you.
- Cubed Ingredients: One of the biggest tips I could ever share is to pay attention to the size of your cuts. If you have huge chunks of meat, and tiny slices of celery, you are going to end up with tough meat and mushy veggies. Make sure to try to keep your cuts even in one inch cubes so that everything will finish cooking at the same time.
- Add Beer: This is pretty traditional in the recipe. I don’t ever have beer in the house, so most of my recipes won’t call for it. This recipe tastes amazing with beer in it! You can add up to a cup of beer to help make that broth nice and flavorful.
You better believe that this slow cooker corned beef and cabbage stew makes the BEST leftovers. I seriously love having this one in the fridge, and the freezer because it’s a family favorite and a great one to reheat when you need a flavorful dinner on the spot.
- In the Refrigerator: You can store your leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 6 days.
- In the Freezer: Put your stew in a plastic bag in the freezer and store for up to 3 months.
Add corned beef, potatoes, celery, onion, and cabbage to your slow cooker.
In a medium sized mixing bowl combine beef broth, worchestershire sauce, pickling spice, garlic powder, paprika and salt and pepper. Pour over the meat and veggies.
Cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 5-6 until the vegetables are tender and meat is cooked throughout.
Add salt and pepper to taste and garnish with chopped parsley.
Calories434kcal (22%)Carbohydrates28g (9%)Protein29g (58%)Fat23g (35%)Saturated Fat7g (35%)Cholesterol82mg (27%)Sodium2743mg (114%)Potassium1340mg (38%)Fiber7g (28%)Sugar4g (4%)Vitamin A250IU (5%)Vitamin C88mg (107%)Calcium116mg (12%)Iron8mg (44%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.